Actors Guild artistic director has left the theater

Richard St. Peter is no longer working as the artistic director of Actors Guild of Lexington.

Now-departed Actors Guild of Lexington artistic director Richard St. Peter and managing director Kim Shaw, who remains in her job, at Actors Guild's new Manchester Street offices. Photos by Rich Copley | LexGo.com.

Two weeks ago, St. Peter had announced he was resigning and would leave by the end of the forthcoming season to work on a doctorate in theater. But Friday afternoon, St. Peter said that the financial strain of working without pay and the prospect of being a lame-duck director prompted him to go ahead and leave the organization.

He also said he believed removing his approximately $45,000 annual salary from the theater’s financial picture might help it recover from a loss of funding from LexArts. In June, the united arts fund declined to give the theater an annual allocation for general operating funds, citing concerns about the theater’s ongoing financial difficulties.

“I’ve got kids, and I need to find work,” said St. Peter, who said he has only received one partial paycheck since July 1.

Actors Guild board president Jennifer Miller said two weeks ago that theater employees had been working without pay so the theater could concentrate on settling accounts with outside vendors and other creditors.

In addition to St. Peter’s departure, which St. Peter said the board approved Monday, Actors Guild also lost Bo List as the director of its season-opening production, Beguiled Again, a show based on the music of Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart. List said in an e-mail, “the agreed-upon terms of my employment were changed dramatically after I began my work in a manner that was unsatisfactory.”

List has been replaced by Stephen Currens, a Lexingtonian who enjoyed Off-Broadway success with Gorey Stories, a musical based on the illustrations of Edward Gorey. He appeared in last season’s AGL production of The Fantasticks.

Eric Ryan Seale.

Eric Ryan Seale.

Beguiled Again has been moved back to Sept. 24-Oct. 11, and AGL associate artistic director Eric Ryan Seale said he is looking at how the date change will affect the remainder of AGL’s season. Seale said that the original dates had been set to accommodate an out-of-town director who had to bow out before List took on the show, and that the date change was partially responsible for List having to bow out.

List said, “I hope that Beguiled Again is the success that AGL needs right now and my best wishes are with the company.”

St. Peter is scheduled to direct Actors Guild’s second production, David Hare’s The Vertical Hour, and he said he still plans to do that.

St. Peter’s departure leaves Seale and AGL managing director Kim Shaw running the company. Despite the challenging nature of the theater, both said they were upbeat.

“Everybody has been picking up the slack,” Shaw said Friday afternoon. “Our first priority is to get Beguiled Again up.”

Seale said, “This is probably going to sound crazy, but I feel pretty good. I’m used to the catastrophe curve of theater, and I have a new office here on Manchester Street, and I like coming in to work every day.

“If people are willing to bear with this initial season postponement and any other season adjustments, we’re going to be fine.”

This entry was posted in Actors Guild of Lexington, Arts administration, Central Kentucky Arts News, LexArts, Theater and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments Closed

39 Responses to Actors Guild artistic director has left the theater

1. kimmi k says:

upbeat? Yeah right. There are not catastrophe curves in well run theater’s Mr. Seale. Have you worked at one? Guess what Mr. Currens. you will not be paid either.

2. Bob Singleton says:

Great. Anonymous snipes. That’s helpful. And brave. Full disclosure: Eric Seale is my friend and a frequent collaborator. He is also one of the most talented and dedicated individuals I have ever worked with. This is a challenging time for AGL but the obstacles are not insurmountable. With Eric and Kim at the helm, I feel confident about AGL’s future (and I don’t intend that as a slight at Rick). But the odds of recovery are better if the community will pull together and support their efforts, instead of making irrelevant attacks and empty assumptions. I’ll be spending my time communicating with Eric and Kim about what I can do to help out and I sincerely hope that others will do the same. This is bigger than any one individual and it is not the time for playground taunts. And if we’re going to discuss this in a public forum, let’s try to conduct ourselves as mature adults.

3. Robert Parks Johnson says:

kimmi k, if I found myself compelled to celebrate the public humiliation of fellow artists and of a once great theatre company, I would probably use a pseudonym too.

Your delight in news of trouble at AGL is neither new nor original. People without the guts or the talent to do the things AGL has done have been saying such things for a quarter of a century.

The fact is that Actors’ Guild was an impossible dream from its inception. Somehow the company has managed to survive internal obstacles and cowardly attacks from the shadows for 25 years. The company was founded to produce the kind of work no one else in Lexington could or would do. They have continued to do just that.

It remains to be seen whether those of us who love theatre will be able to resurrect AGL. But my fondest hope is that you remain an anonymous, shadowy outsider long after Actors’ Guild is again the flagship company in the region.

4. Bo List says:

Regardless of the circumstances, I’m delighted for AGL that they got someone of Stephen Currens’s calibre to take over Beguiled Again and to work with the marvelous cast. Mr. Currens and I have only met a few times and never worked together, but I spent the last two years of my previous assignment as Producer of Germantown Community Theatre in the Memphis area trying to convince a very conservative playfinding committee that his slightly ribald musical (and super-duper) Gorey Stories would work for our also-conservative audience. Gorey Stories eventually won out, and will open in Germantown shortly after Beguiled Again closes. Congrats to AGL for wisely soliciting his talent and to Mr. Currens for the showcases that his work will receive this season.

5. Bravo, Bob and Robert.

Whatever happens to AGL…Eric, Kim, Rick, Bo, and Stephen will continue to have productive careers in theatre because they refuse to be defined by someone’s limited idea of what they think “Lexington Theatre” should be. They are not afraid to be challenged and dare to have vision beyond a provincial, prosaic, insular, myopic scope. They are also not afraid to fail, knowing that playing it safe and pandering to prattling naysayers is the path to sustained mediocrity.

And if kimmi k actually knew anything about real theatre and wasn’t just another of the predictable horde of cowardly anonymous dilletantes, he/she/it would know that many well-run and venerable theatres are often just a curve away from catastrophe.

6. Kim Dixon says:

People, we are being just as nasty to kimmi k as his/her comment.

“And if kimmi k actually knew anything about real theatre and wasn’t just another of the predictable horde of cowardly anonymous dilletantes…”

“Your delight in news of trouble at AGL is neither new nor original.”

Assumptions have been made. I don’t know who kimmi k is, and I don’t care. But because I know nothing about kimmi k, I cannot say that he/she doesn’t know anything about real theatre, or that he/she delights in AGL’s troubles.

I just can’t use a pseudonym when I post, but I can understand why some folks might choose to do so.

7. Jeff Sams says:

Kim, you don’t know who kimmie k is…but do you know the person that she attacked? Do you support that kind of nastiness?

Perhaps kimmie k will be kind enough to list the professional theaters that she has worked for.

Honestly this argument is pointless. There are two people who have stuck by the theater, are paying for it’s past and striving to make it better. They seem to be putting in a lot of effort, and receiving very little thanks. Mr. Singleton has the right idea, giving his support to Mr. Seale and Ms. Shaw. If anyone else has something to say to these people she should be able to say it without hiding, and perhaps even better to say it to them personally. I agree we do not need to argue the validity of the first comment in this thread. It speaks for itself.

If Mr. Seal feels upbeat about the future, what dispute it? I look forward to finding out what his plans are.

8. No assumptions have been made at all, Kim. That kimmi k feels “delight at the news of trouble at AGL” and shows ingorance about theatre by an obvious lack of understanding of the precarious financial tightrope many theatres operate on is inherent in the post.

We have based our opinions on what has been written. More, everybody else here defends their opinion with reasons and has the guts to put their name to it…they don’t just scrawl unfounded gleeful snark. If one’s opinion has value and merit, they should not be afraid to put their name to it.

9. Tara Adkins says:

There is nothing commendable about an attack statement from someone too afraid to give their name. There are plenty of theatre people and theatre goers in this town who love and hate each individual theatre organization we’ve got for their own personal reasons, but I say if you love a place then buy a ticket. Volunteer. Audition. If you are unwaveringly resolved not to be a part of a particular theatre, then take your business/craft elsewhere, but no one has any business publicly trashing the extremely talented and overworked employees of AGL (or of any local theatre for that matter) strictly on the basis of their own personal beef. Telling your friends and family about the details of a negative experience is a world away from making personal, public accusations against people who don’t even know who you are. I know I don’t have a right to tell anyone how and when they can complain, but I can promise you that good people with really good intentions for you, kimmy k, and the rest of Lexington’s actors, dancers, singers, techies and of course theatre going audiences, are working triple time right now to bring you what I hope will be another 25 years of entertainment and and work in the arts. To sabotage their efforts is to put the future of Lexington’s arts scene at stake.

10. I’m sure there are many who can lodge legitimate complaints with AGL, but if one wishes to talk about assumptions, let me just say that in the three years since I have been back in Lexington and even before I returned, I have heard more outre assumptions, vicious gossip, and outright lies spread about AGL that I have discovered are utterly without merit.

Whatever the theatre’s failings or shortcomings may be, they do not stem from any malicious motives and they have occurred in an ambitious and laudable attempt to bring exciting, quality theatre to the region.

11. Kim Dixon says:

Chuck,

The following are assumptions:

“Your delight in news of trouble at AGL is neither new nor original.”

You are insinuating that kimmi k does not know anything about real theatre. You have made an assumption. And so has RPJ.

Definitions of assumption and its synonym, conjecture:

12. Robert Parks Johnson says:

Kim, you’ve been an outspoken critic of RSP’s administration and have always had the integrity to stand behind those criticisms. I respect you an awful lot for that.

But this business of hurling personal attacks at people without backing them up and without even identifying yourself is unjust toward the target and damaging to the theatre.

Keep fighting for what you think is right, my sister. And keep fighting honorably as you aways have done.

the original poster contributes only bad feeling. Frankly I think there’s a surplus of that already. Time for us all to go to work in more fruitful directions.

13. waltertunis says:

Just a thought here.
    Given these latest developments that leave AGL even more short-handed, might it not be in the group’s best interest to cease production for a year and use that time to regroup, restructure and decide upon an artistic mission it can artistically and financially live with? Proceeding with a season when a company is so obviously depleted of resources just sounds dangerous to me.
    If AGL folds, regardless of how anyone feels about it, the community will suffer. But going ahead with a season that bends the backs to the breaking points of those that are still holding the company up seems unwise. I know going dark for a year sounds a bit like artistic bankruptcy, but it might be just the thing to stop the bleeding.
    - Walter Tunis

14. Brandy Osborne says:

I am almost afraid to enter the fray, but my heart breaks for AGL… it’s been almost 10 years since I worked on a production there, but it was an amazing learning experience for me when I was fresh out of college. It was a true community effort; all of us were locals, it was the kind of theatre that made me understand why I always loved being a part of it all … I think for AGL to even try to survive, it needs to go back to those roots…

15. Walter, AGL’s board and staff are probably in a better position to make an assessment of their situation than either you or I and must do what they feel needs to be done. Time will tell how AGL’s current decisions pan out.

Kim, it seems pointless to reiterate the obvious evidence from which both Robert and I draw our conclusions but for your benefit, once again: When venerable and long established theatres have been dropping like flies of late, to say there are no catastrophe curves in well-run theatres displays to me someone who doesn’t know much about theatre…many successful theatres for years have teetered on the brink of financial catastrophe, many continued to do so, and anyone who has spent time in real theatre environments is well aware of the precarious nature of finances and cash flow in the theatre.

Not to be aware not only displays ignorance, but dilletantism to me. To make snide potshots and personal attacks on people, striving under onerous circumstances, to achieve something worthwile without offering anything in the way of constructive feedback is the also height of dilletantism…to say nothing of petty smallmindedness.

If you can’t own your own opinion by backing it with your name, you ARE an anonymous coward. That we’ve seen tons of these kinds of posts here and elsewhere whenever AGL is mentioned shows that there is a faceless horde of these type of cowards out there.

Regards your erroneous statement about Robert’s statement, kimmi k’s post offers nothing but insults and snark, bristling with delight at AGL’s predicament. It…more than any post here…is the one that makes assumptions.

I respect that you have the guts to own your own less-than-flattering opinions toward AGL, but your arguments aren’t strengthened futilely trying to defend with a false premise an anonymous coward who can only carp.

16. Robert Parks Johnson says:

Walter, your question is a good one, and one that the folks who guide AGL’s future need to ask. One of the dangers of crisis management is always that the crisis is the only thing that is managed. Another is that groups can become addicted to crisis. It’s worth asking if that is also part of the way things have been going.

Whatever the solution, it is going to require a lot of resources to discover and implement. It may very well be that suspending production for a time is the best course.

An alternative might be for a group of volunteer artists and technicians to accept responsibility for production while the staff and board focus on the process of re-invigorating the company. This would minimize production costs while generating income and continuing the theatre’s presence on the scene.

The solution is going to have to integrate responsible business practices, quality artistic production, and a meaningful connection to the community that engages not only audiences, but also local talent.

17. ANONYMOUS!!!! says:

The only way to combat pessimism AND pretentious verbiage is with action. Let’s lay the egos aside, shall we? Go to http://www.actorsguildoflexington.org, contact Eric or Kim, find out what you can do to ensure the success and longevity of AGL, and go see BEGUILED AGAIN (Sept. 24th – Oct. 11th).

18. Laura Trefil says:

Can the cards not be on the table? I am not an actress, but a friend to many artists and a theatre patron in Lexington for many years. Under Mr. St. Peter’s management, the theatre has gone from a place in which many would RALLY to support the management’s leaving or the theatre’s demise, to a place where there is no support and the silence is overwhelming I see the same names on here over and over in support. Those names are few, While I respect your support of the theatre and for Mr. St. Peter, I must lay some truths out there. I know for a fact that under St. Peter’s management artists were often paid at a great delay or not paid at all. This caused many of them to never return to the theatre and with a bitter taste. How can a theatre that disrespects its artists become an Equity one?
    I believe that Mr. St. Peter talks a good game. I heartily supported the theatre and him at first, only to be disappointed by what I felt were a great deal of smoke and mirrors. His ambition can be charming. But what has he delivered? A huge debt? More empty seats than full ones? Burned bridges in the artistic community?
    As an audience member, the quality of the shows were up and down, often utilizing the same local folks at a rate that was less than appealing.
    I in no way wish to see AGL fold, I am however looking forward to new management.

19. Kim Dixon says:

Chuck,

“obvious evidence”

Believe it or not, I do think it’s cowardly to make an anonymous comment. Because the writer chose to be anonymous, it is impossible for any of us to know anything about him/her. If kimmi k were to reveal him/herself and tell us about his/her background, then we would have EVIDENCE to support or dispute your and RPJ’s comment.

But now we are just pointlessly arguing. As always. I think we need to go have a drink or wrestle or eat a pie together. Really. We are probably not so different.

20. laurie Genet Preston says:

wrestle? pie? yay! a little humor!

21. Rob Holland says:

I occasionally read the Herald Leader online to see whats happening in Lexington and happened upon Rich’s blog. I’m taken aback by a few of the comments on this thread as well as Rich’s post about what tenants a new leader for AGL should have.

Lexington has a quagmire with AGL in regards to what it’s identity within the arts scene should be. Some have argued that the work is comparable to the other local playhouses, and in my mind that says AGL doesn’t have a distinction among the roost (which isn’t a knock on the overall quality on the theatre community).

My questions are: If AGL was heading to being a Small Professional Theatre-who created the demand? How would AGL distinguish itself from the other theatre companies in the community? Is it more important to Lexington to have a flagship regional theatre or a community of distinct theatrical companies?

As soon as I completed coursework at UK in 2007, I had the privilege of assisting one of the most unique and hardworking Artistic Directors in the country . Her company ,which she created in an already robust theatre scene, the Berkshire’s, celebrated it’s 15th anniversary this year. Without going into all the history, she grew a company to a recognized regional theatre because she worked relentlessly to fulfill a vision. She told me that most of her assistants now lead their own companies and she told me: “You’ve gotta have vision”, and “People that believe and support your vision”.

So whomever takes over should have a renewed vision of AGL that will distinguish itself in the community and that individual must be able to bring in the kind of audience support and also attract philanthropists and generous gift givers to support AGL goals. This is a huge undertaking, but worth it if someone has an idea of what AGL could be. I suggest finding someone who makes the company a unique model of how theatre can produce exception theatre experiences for audiences using actors within Lexington and surrounding communities. Be the benchmark of how world class theatre can be produced without shipping in from major markets.

“ACTORS Guild of LEXINGTON”

Best,
    Rob

22. anonymous says:

These conversations which are publicly damaging, are the reason this community ( other than 60 or so people) is not embracing the Actors Guild. Stop the arguing. I think if someone isn’t paid, like perhaps some of us from last years opener, you have your right to tell whomever you please. I do agree that Eric Seale and Kim Shaw should not be persecuted for attempting to wok under terrbile conditions, but at the same time the many artists and knowledgeable professionals that have not been compensated deserve to vent in whichever way they deem appropriate.
    This is all a terrible joke being played by the board on many inncocent people in this community.

23. Kim, do you know any place local where I can get a good coconut cream pie topped with whipped cream instead of meringue?

24. Robert Parks Johnson says:

Kim, I’ll join you for a little pie wrestling anytime.

25. Robert Parks Johnson says:

Rob, I think you and the other “new voices” in this thread are bringing some great perspectives to the table. I believe that people who want to care and want to help will be the source of the energy and ideas that will ultimately restore Actors’ Guild.

I’m going to take a guess and say you worked with Anne Bogart. Her approach to theatre management provides and excellent example of what I think AGL most dearly needs: an unmistakable sense of identity and purpose.

A theatre company is just like an artist in this sense: without a clear vision, we are just making art for our own amusement and/or enrichment. Perhaps more than any other, our art form requires a sense of social purpose in order to be great.

Lord, don’t let me become one of those grumpy old men who’s always talking about how much better things used to be, but I do believe that the theatre lost something important when the mission changed. I still know it by heart, because it was so central to all that we did.

To create and present compelling, contemporary theatre for the region.

You can argue over the appropriateness of that mission (and many did), but not it’s clarity. You can’t boil it down. It is a carefully crafted statement of the essential vision for the organization. AGL was the place to see courageous regional artists present often outrageous productions that other local companies just wouldn’t touch.

The current mission lacks that kind of focus.

The Mission of Actors Guild of Lexington is to produce quality live professional theatre that stimulates, engages and entertains; elevates the quality of life for citizens of the Bluegrass region of Kentucky; and affirms the commonality of human experience through sustained production excellence and educational outreach.

That doesn’t tell you anything about how to pick a repertory or hold an audition or decorate the lobby. Too many notes, and not enough music. The essence of this statement says that AGL will make good theatre that helps people and get paid for it. It’s generic and dull as dishwater.

Job one for the company’s leadership needs to be this: define exactly who you want Actors’ Guild of Lexington to be. Only then will you begin to make operational choices that make any sense for the future of the company.

26. Craig King says:

Actors’ Guild is something of a miracle story. In its 25 years’ existence, it has always struggled, yet managed to make it through to the next season. AGL even operated in the black for a few years, before it made the arrangement with the city to move to the Downtown Arts Center. It’s a fine facility, but I never thought that was the right move for AGL to take. That is beside the point, however.

I like Walter Tunis’ idea of going dark for awhile, but I would offer a truncated season rather than closing for an entire year. The theatre would still be in operation and nobody would be misled into thinking it had closed permanently.

Support from the theatre and financial communities have kept AGL going all these years. Continued support will ensure its place in Lexington for years to come.

27. Patrick Joel Martin says:

I wish the best of luck to Mr. St. Peter in his new ventures, and I am glad to see that he will return to direct “The Vertical Hour.” Shows that Mr. St. Peter isn’t completely abandoning ship of a wreck, that, let’s all face it he created.

It is a sad day for the company to lose Mr. List as a director. Bo has a great vision with each and every show he directs, and sees it through. If you’re an actor and ever get the chance to work with him, I highly recommend it! But, AGL is not able to keep their part of the contract, and I’m somewhat glad that Bo had the nerve to call them out on it, and not uphold his part of the contract. I’m sure more than a handful of actors in this town would have done the same thing if they knew they would not be getting paid in a timely fashion, or at all.

Someone suggested above (forgive me for not hunting to find it again) that the theatre take a year off to re-focus itself and work to get out of debt. It sounds like a good idea, but AGL needs the revenue to help get out of debt. I do think abbreviated season would do AGL a lot of good. It would also do the other theatre’s in Lexington a lot of good too! Shows would not be on top of each other, and more people would have access to the Downtown Arts Center. It was my understanding that LexArts created the space for LEXINGTON Theatre, not AGL. But, I could be mistaken….

Actors Guild, for the time being, needs to get out of its head that it should become an Equity partner theatre. They are not in a position financially, nor do they (in my humble opinion) have a large enough desire of actors to work for them.

Working outside of Lexington this summer, with fellow Lexingtonians I was able to hear what was said outside of Lexington about Lexington theatre. And without a doubt, AGL was the least favorable among those from Lexington or Kentucky.

I wish no ill upon Mr. Seale or Ms. Dixon. I actually wish them great luck in their endeavor to bring AGL up to the theatre that it could be. (I don’t wish to say restore the theatre, because according to many of my elders in the theatre community, AGL was only a great theatre when Vic Cheney was around. And, I’m assuming, it would take too much time and money to restore to that level.)

However, I do hope that in a year or so that the AGL board and its employees take a very hard look at the company, and truly think if it’s worth the effort. How many people in this community would actually miss AGL? Are there enough actors that have not been burned by the company to mount proper shows? Is AGL presenting the right material? These are just a few of the MANY questions they need to ask themselves. Only time will tell if they do ask themselves these questions, and only time will tell what those answers may be.

28. Kim Dixon says:

Hi Patrick! It is Kim SHAW that is on staff at AGL. My tenure was a long time ago. But I do wish Kim and Eric all the best. Truly. They work extremely hard.

Chuck. Coconut cream pie. No meringue. Hmmm… I am not a regular consumer of that variety, but I will do some research. First stop, Missy’s Pies. Once I find the pie, we shall have a date. Is this the apocalypse? No, dear readers. Kim Dixon may just be growing up. At least that’s what my Aunt Diane in TN told me last night.

As I just got back from TN, I shall now eat and go to sleep. Nighty-night!

29. Kim Dixon says:

Bob, I bet you didn’t know that pie wrestling is my specialty. You are going down, dude.

30. Just a quick one: How is a theatre supposed to generate income if it goes dark for a year? How is staff and rent supposed to be paid? Without product there is no theatre?

There are other inaccuraries and facts and “assumptions” made in some of these posts, that people who have not been inside the theatre cannot possibly know about and it would be pointless to bring up because people are going to believe what they want to believe. They’ve found their villain and scapegoat and are satisfied. It’s all the dreaded “outlander’s” fault

But AGL was in disastrous financial shape before St. Peter’s arrival. I believe this onerous mountain, despite a valiant effort, has been impossible to climb and put this theatre almost immediately under the tyranny of LexArts’ charity.

The theatre probably should have been closed down before St. Peter ever came to town…except that he at least gave it five years of terrific artistic achievement.

31. Craig King says:

Chuck, I make an excellent coconut cream pie. I’ll just leave off the meringue and send it over with a can of whipped cream. Real whipped cream, not the fake stuff made from petroleum by-products.

I agree that going dark for a season would spell AGL’s doom, but a shorter season, or fewer productions could ease the budget stress for now. It’s not unheard of or untested as a way of recovering from severe financial strain. And I do wish Eric and Kim all the best in their endeavours. If Rick were still at the helm and having to deal with all this, I would want nothing less for him. I want to see the Theatre survive and prosper, to continue to bring us the kind of dramatic art we won’t see anywhere else in Lexington. I’ve no doubt the Board is already working on ways to make it happen, but given their track record, perhaps listening to some input from external sources isn’t such a bad idea.

32. Robert Parks Johnson says:

Congratulations. After years of effort, you have made this old man blush…b

33. Robert Parks Johnson says:

The most difficult thing about sifting out the truth in a situation like this is that nearly everyone who tells the story has a perspective or agenda that distorts the facts. Add to this the institutional imperative to spin the story in a way that casts the company in the best light and the truth is that none of us, not even the participants, is ever likely to really understand what really happened.

Playing “Rashamon” with blame, history, and personalities is invigorating to the belly, but may not ever reveal what actually happened and how.

There is work to be done. There are vibrant theatres producing all over town. Each of us ought to set to work where our conscience calls us to go.

The old horse’s corpse may be just about flayed to the bone at this point.Could it be that the time to tear down has passed and the time to build up is upon us?

34. Dr Dampier says:

Kim and Chuck et al.,

Coconut Cream pie wrestling with Kim? I’m IN! And it just happens I make a mean pie.

As for this other trouble at AGL; troubles will always be with us, as will petty name calling and bickering. Why did we each become addicted to theater? For the organization and diva behavior, or perhaps for the art of make believe? I’ve had my conflicts at AGL from various angles and situations, I got over it, moved on and have no problems with anyone associated with them. I speak this for my own experience and not to suggest all can or should do that. However, I’m apparently a petty, self-centered, punk…or so I’ve been told.

So what do we do now. Let’s play make-believe, we can work out the details as we go. I’ll bring the pie.

Oh, and Bobby S., nicely stated.

35. sunny says:

It is a cryin shame that all of you rant a rave about AGL like ya own it. Furthermore why do you keep bringing up St. Peter’s name? He has kids! Respect them. It won’t matter who sits in the drivers seat because none of you will like him. You also wont find anyone of quality to take the job. Suffering for your art doesn’t bode well with qualified folk from top theatre circles.

36. Maria Bellamy says:

It’s my first time on this board and I’m almost afraid to leave a message because of the shredding other posters have received! I am certainly no theater insider, just an enthusiastic audience member who rarely participates. I have attended performances in countless venues, several outside the US. I have ranged from comped tickets through singles, season passes, and some level of patronage.

Here comes my point: I was shocked to discover AGL a few years ago, because I never knew it existed. I was delighted with the performances I have seen there, but I am still baffled as to why it is virtually a secret. Not just AGL, but many similar endeavors.

I am continually looking for entertainment in central Kentucky, but it is the most frustrating info-search I have ever been on. Here am I, ticket money clutched in my hot little hand, googling away, and after literal hours of reading too-brief calendar items, I still have only a sketchy idea of events for which to plan attendance. I am primarily interested in plays, and separating the scarce bits of info about them from the copiously advertised Everything Else is like panning for gold.

I have signed up for every notification service I have found; subscribe to every tourist and theater-professional e-newsletter I have stumbled across; joined listservs; attempted to manually compile websites of theater companies (hard to do when you don’t know they exist); and generally taken all the fun out of it for myself. Now here I am wailing, Don’t you WANT me in the audience?

This thread reinforces my growing belief that Lexington theater is a world of insiders who may want to keep it that way. I don’t know the other posters here, and I don’t know the people about whom you post. But if you are wondering why AGL and other theaters are in trouble, I will emphasize, from my outsider’s point of view, it’s because they aren’t letting the majority of the public in the know.

37. Craig King says:

Excellent commentary from the Huffpost, Rob. I’ve always held that nonprofits should do one, three, five and ten-year planning, just as for-profit corporations do. Make reasonable projections and stick to them as best you can. If you set firm goals, especially for the long term, you will make more of an effort to reach them.

38. Pingback: Copious Notes » Blog Archive » Actors Guild wants you . . .

Comments are closed.