Actors Guild names interim AD

Eric Ryan Seale, right -- with "SantaLand Diaries" director Leif Erickson Rigney and actor Tim Hull -- has been named interim artistic director of Actors Guild of Lexington. Photo by Rich Copley | LexGo.com.

Actors Guild of Lexington has designated associate artistic director Eric Ryan Seale as its interim artistic director.

Seale said Tuesday afternoon that his charge is to complete the 2009-10 season and begin planning for the 2010-11 season while the Actors Guild board considers its next moves.

“I’m looking at bringing on some staff so we can get back to work,:” said Seale, who is also readying Studio Players’ production of Sam Shepherd’s “True West” to open next week. “We hope to mount new shows pretty quickly.”

Actors Guild had a season set by former artistic director Richard St. Peter last spring. But those plans were abandoned as the theater became embroiled in a financial crisis and St. Peter and managing director Kimberly Shaw left to pursue other opportunities.

Seale said December’s hit production of David Sedaris’ “The Santaland Diaries” and a $32,000 grant from the W. Paul and Lucille Caudill Little Foundation for community outreach and partnership have reinvigorated the theater. He said he expects to announce productions for the rest of this season soon.

“We’re going to finish the season for our subscribers,” Seale said. “That’s our obligation.”

This entry was posted in Actors Guild of Lexington, Central Kentucky Arts News, Theater and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments Closed

18 Responses to Actors Guild names interim AD

1. Adam says:

What would this community do without the Caudill Little Foundation?

2. Marvin says:

Your a$$ is now OWNED by the LCL Foundation. If Lucille was alive, they wouldn’t be getting a cent. I heard that she stopped donating to that place a long time ago after being offended by a specific play presented there.

What a crock and what a fracking joke. I can’t believe that this embarrassment of an organization is still floundering around while it coughs up blood and wastes time and resources. Are they gonna use that 32,000 dollars to pay off the mountains of debt and UNPAID ACTOR/TECHNICIAN STIPENDS that were agreed to through the SIGNING OF CONTRACTS? Professional theater indeed. Don’t make me laugh. If any of my tax dollars go to AGL, I’m burning their offices to the ground and will not use any of my urine to put it out.

3. Bob says:

Good move by the Board, and a good follow up to the SantaLand success. Congrats on the grant, also. Gives ‘em some continuity and a chance to build some more positive momentum.

4. Natalie says:

Congratulations to Eric Seale on his well-deserved appointment! Without his tireless efforts, “The Santaland Diaries” wouldn’t have been such a rousing success. Here’s to the rebuilding and future growth of one of the cornerstones of Lexington theatre.

5. Tim says:

I think Eric is a fine choice to lead this theatre. I’ve been involved in the arts for most of my life, and rarely have I met an individual as hard working and dedicated to the craft as he is.
    I would also think that in this time of economic hardship all around, perhaps we could join hands as a community and rally to make sure that ANOTHER theatre institution doesn’t disappear. Surely there have been bumps in the road (as with any artistic endeavor) but AGL has a long, proud history and I, for one, would like to see it continue.

6. Leif Erickson Rigney says:

Just FYI: KRS 508.080, covers two general kinds of threats – threats to a specific person or his property, and threats used to cause public evacuations of buildings and other structures.
    On a different note, I have worked extensively with Mr. Seale and can say without hesitation that AGL is in the best hands it could possibly be in right now. I am amazed at his passion for AGL and his tireless (I know it’s a cliche, but it is also true) efforts to see it through a difficult time. In the interest of full
    disclosure, I was one of the people affected by a past issue involving money. But that is the key here: *in the past.* I for one am more interested in the future, and I find myself encouraged that Eric Seale is leading us there.

7. Ashleigh says:

It has been my privelege to see Mr. Seale’s work first hand and placing him as artistic director was a very smart move. His dedication and work ethic should be a lesson to all of us, that even through the hard times we can still produce great works of art. He may be the breath of fresh air we need in this community for a better artistic future. I wish AGL the best of luck!

8. Roger says:

I’m an old guy who’s seen a number of theaters come and go in Lexington. Those small theaters have produced most of the good theater experiences I’ve had in Lexington. They were all started by passionate, talented, young (at the time) people who wanted more and better theater. We have all been made better by their passion and their efforts.
    I look at Eric Seale and other young (at this time) performers and see the history and the potential future of Lexington theater. I choose to remember the happy parts of the history and look forward to the future good things.
    Congratulations, Eric! Now…go do some miracles.

9. Eric Seale is one of the best directors and one of the best theatre men in this town and I wish him every success. Thank the Little Foundation for understanding what it means to actually fund worthy endeavours unlike LexArts’ whose funding always came with a spiderweb of conditions and mother-may-I obstacles and, even when met, always found ways to delay promised payment and took huge chunks of them back in rents and fees. If LexArts truly nurtured the arts, instead of obsessing on their own self-aggrandizement, they’d stop trying to stuff living organizations like AGL into their coffins alive and Lexington might have a more flourishing Arts scene.

10. An addendum: I hope to be able to work for and with Eric again in the near future. His PILLOWMAN was one of the three or four best shows I’ve ever seen in Lexington.

11. Terri says:

Then you need to get out more often, don’t you?

12. Reaper says:

Performing arts group deserve to be guided by those who are artistically visionary and fiscally responsible. Eric Seale has proven himself to be both, and his leadership gives me hope for AGL’s future. A toast to his upcoming production of Sam Shepard’s “True West” at Studio Players, Jan 21 – Feb 7 — don’t miss it!

13. Sabrina says:

Eric, please take the time to be an Artistic Director at AGL. Please don’t fall into the “what I really want to do is direct” trap. You need to OVERSEE the directors, not be one yourself. Certainly for the foreseeable future. Use your time to SAVE the theater by LEADING it. Don’t destroy it by splitting your time between directing a show and directing an organization. If you are like any other stage director I’ve met, you usually spend every waking moment thinking about the play you are working on and nothing else. You will need to spend your time taking care of other things because AGL needs all the organization it can get.

14. Charles says:

I think Eric’s appointment is a blessing for A.G.L. as well as Lexington’s arts community. Congrats.

15. DeAnna says:

Congrats to Eric Seale! He put a lot of effort into “The Santaland Diaries” and by doing so it was a great success. He is passionate about theater and it shows in his productions.

16. Terri, if your riposte was to me, why don’t we see how often I’ve gotten out in the four years and month and half since I moved back to Lexington. By my tally of programmes, I seen 80 productions in Lexington and environs from 19 different area theatres or producing entities, these include all the major local theatres, educational theatres, and some one-shots like the Thoroughbred theatre in Midway. I might have missed a programme or two, but 80 is a nice round number.

In that time, I’ve also seen one production on a trip back to LA, 20 theatrical productions in Cincinnati, and 24 on two trips to London (England, not Kentucky).

I’m sorry, it isn’t more…but during that time, I also acted in four plays and wrote one that got produced locally (and has since been produced elsewhere), as well as serving on the board of a local theatre.

So in the four years, month and a half, I’ve been here that comes to a 125 plays I’ve seen. That averages out to about thirty-one plays a year. Roughly two and a half a month.

Nawww….I don’t really think I need to get out any more often, do you?

17. Terri says:

Mr. Pogue: Yes, you do, if you think AGL’s Pillowman was one of the top 3 or 4 productions in the area of the 80 you have seen since you returned to the bright lights and big city of Lexington.

Opinions are opinions, though. Good for you for getting out there and doing whatever it is you do, wherever you do it.

18. Gather you didn’t like it…I thought it a terrific production of a brilliant play!

Comments are closed.